Digital Conversations

Sunday, February 1

Now for a change of pace...
I've been reading with interest all of your thoughts and ideas, Kelly. Thought-provoking and amusing, but really not addressing the KEY issue of our time (which I, of course, shall introduce to the Blog):
PEOPLE WHO TALK IN MOVIES (or people who shake popcorn bags, crinkle plastic and other petty annoyances).
This is something that I just have to rant about because it's gotten so far out of hand.
What is up with people talking in movies? This is definitely a recent social phenomenon that must be addressed before CINEMA RAGE is unleashed. Living in the utterly boring metropolis of Moncton, NB, I see a lot of movies. In fact, I've seen practically every movie that was released this year (excluding the shite like 'Stuck on You' and 'Cat in the Hat'). Without fail, my movie-going experience has been ruined on almost every single occasion due to the rudeness of others. It seems that for some people, when the lights go down, a neuro-mechanism is triggered that leads them to talk incessantly throughout the film. What are they talking about?? Why can't it wait? And I don't mean wait until the most critical, pivotal moment of the film when the action cuts to dead silence.
So, what to do? Well, yesterday I went to see Monster (amazing, btw) and I was determined to not have it destroyed by ignoramuses. So, we got great side seats with no one in front of or behind us...Until the lights went down. A woman comes and sits behind us...Ok...I'm starting to worry...She proceeds to unwrap about 50 plastic bags...Don't ask me what she was doing, but if I had to guess, I'd say she had individually wrapped raisins...The crinkling was beyond reason. Fine, ok, I could cope with that...Then about 10 minutes into the film, 2 young women come in and plunk down behind us as well. Totally disruptive, taking off coats, whispering, etc. I did the old "swift head turn and glare" a couple of times, silently vowing to give them only 3 chances to shut the fuck up. At the 3rd whisper session, I turned around to see one chick pouring her chemical flavouring onto her humongous popcorn and then shaking it up, not once, not twice, but 3 times!! WHY????
So I had to say something, I couldn't contain myself..."Please be quiet," I growled. Well, the look of astonishment that crossed this girl's face was priceless. It was as though no one had ever asked her to be quiet in her life, that this movie theatre was her private vestige to behave in as she pleased, and how dare I even glance in her direction? Of course, this spurned another frantic whispering conference, so I got up and stomped 2 rows ahead to finish watching the film in peace. As I stood up, the word "BITCH" was hissed in my ear.
So, finished the film, loved it, made a vow in future to wait until movie starts before picking a seat, and have been pondering what to do ever since. I'm thinking of writing a letter to the editor of our local paper, a plea for silence. Also, thinking of proposing "Talker Times" at the theatres so all the idiots can go at the same time.
I just can't understand how one can be so oblivious to their surroundings, so completely self-absorbed that this behaviour not only persists but seems to be spreading by leaps and bounds...What's happening??
Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
Spread the word:
SHUT THE FUCK UP - I'M TRYING TO WATCH A MOVIE!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home