Digital Conversations

Thursday, February 5

Reminder why i bother

In reply to my own post earlier today, i must say, that the reason i bother..

I got to spend the afternoon at school, working [intermittently] on the research im working on. Through all the people who think that they are in university to express their opinions, and not necessarily to learn, i am blessed with meeting people who understand critical theory and how it functions. I have been lucky to meet people who challenge what i understand of the things i am learning, and can only hope that these people will be around for some time to continue to challenge me. Again, Kathleen has helped direct my thought process on post modernism in contemporary educational systems etc. What does this mean to me, and how does my last commentaries fit into our conversation. She helped me work through the difference between lectures and seminars.

How you can learn, have opinions and still add food for thought to a conversation that furthers your knowledge. People who claim to know what they are talking about 100% are being equally ignorant to the process of learning. People who are unwillingly to hear out another party completely to see how another view fits into their own are denying themselves the intellectual benefit that is the university experience. I understand that my own negative attitudes towards what [in my opinion] was off topic opinionated commentaries by these girls may even undermine my own advice of listening to alternative views, and i promise i would have IF they had spoken on topic and in context of the course that i am paying the university to teach me about. I am not there to tell other people what i think, personal stories and off topic reflections are irrelevant.

Although i am learning the process to think critically and am developing my own opinions based on what i am learning, i dont think i have the right to impose my views on the class, especially when it takes up more then half of the class time.

Anyways - enough gripping from me! If anything, this will teach me to try to take what i can out of a class - regardless who or what tries to derail the topic at hand.

On to deeper thoughts... =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home