Digital Conversations

Tuesday, March 9

Asking vague questions but expecting specific answers

I had a job interview by telephone this morning and I came out of it feeling...bemused. The guy doing the interview wanted to gauge the degree of my technical knowledge and expertise. A rather specific thing, it would seem. And yet, to determine if I was technical enough for this job, he asked very vague questions.

(Example):

Him: I'd like to see what you know about Internet security.

Me: (pause) oookay.

Him: What do you know?

Me: (pause) In what sense? Can you be more specific please?

Him: Which is more secure, FTP or HTML?

Me: (pause) Can you give an example please?

(/example)

And so on the interview went in this vein.

Not sure how I did as a result, but I do know that there are very few people in my employer's company with my mix of tech knowledge, project management expertise, people skills and writing/presentation abilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home