Digital Conversations

Wednesday, October 27

Another Way of Looking at Multi-Tasking

As a woman who played massively multi user online role playing games while raising a family, I had no choice but to multi-task - you know, cast a heal, run downstairs to turn the dryer on and run back up in time to cast another heal while my fellow playmates were none the wiser of my absence.

I had a recent conversation with a professor in the leisure studies department who did her MA thesis on Elite Female Power Gamers - and while discussing my multi-tasking abilities, she introduced me to the term "time deepening". Many people, when they think of multi-tasking think of it in linear terms of time. The concept of time deepening puts the depth of the tasks per the time it takes to do it. Easier way to conceptualize the sense of depth is: when you do 5 tasks (multi-tasking) in 5 minutes, essentially, you are getting 25 minutes worth of work done in 5 minutes, creating depth to the concept of time, instead of its common linear perception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home