Digital Conversations

Tuesday, December 14

Internet Withdrawal

For anyone who knows me, we are a well connected family - digitally that is. In our living space is a nice 'family' arrangement, running along two walls, so we can all sit together when we are off in our seperate directions in cyberspace. (which is quite often!)

Don't get me wrong, we usually have the television on and the radio in the background blending in with the boings and pings of our computers. Both of my daughter's read quite alot and both have active, offline social lives.

But yesterday, we seemed to have forgotten what we did before the internet. Videotron, (my lame isp) was offline for almost 10 hours, as well as blundering up my digital cable off and on all night. We were beside ourselves with boredom, lamenting the loss of our access. Although i am currently in a writting frenzy, trying to finish up my papers, and my daughter usually watches fear factor on monday nights anyways, we both checked the router an embarrassingly amount of times.

When i went to order pizza, i was stunned to realize that i actually have never written the number down because i always check our local listings online. When i decided to do some work, I realized that alot of my papers were bookmarked online (to save the trees!) - so work was futile in that sense.

In the end, we read books for pleasure and watched some 'off-mainstream' reality show about male models, had some mother daughter quality time, and at 11:30pm when the internet came back - i breathed a sigh of relief and went back to watching some old Law & Order episode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home