Digital Conversations

Monday, May 9

More digital kids
Over the last few weeks, I have been thinking about the social differences between my childhood and my daughter's. I recently posted about her favorite website the N, and its methods of creating one's avatar. She has been saving her credits the past few weeks for the hairstyle of her choice. Although she can afford other styles, she is adamant about saving her creds for exactly what she wants. I realized, this is another lesson being learned. It could be personality (she is better then I am at saving her pennies!) but i think the valuable lesson taught in her virtual world, is being given the opportunity to exchange currency for goods. A lesson that is harder to learn in a tangible world when you arent old enough to get a part time job.

Another positive difference I have seen over the last few weeks is the opportunity for my daughter to socialize outside her normal circle of friends. She has been dealing with some severe rejection borderline bullying by her (ex) group of girlfriends. Although she was devastated in the beginning, hurt in the middle of it, and now blase about their silliness, one thing that has allowed her to keep her head above water was the opportunity to communicate with other girls she has never met who are going through similar social issues. She understands that there is much more to life then the walls of her school, and the people in her neighborhood. Valueable lessons at 13 (well... almost 13) I remember being young, going through similar woes in a rural community, and in those days, your social circle at school were your life. Although she is sad that those friendships soured, she's made new friends at school and still enjoys an active social life online.

To me, these are positive, valuable differences that the internet offers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home