Digital Conversations

Friday, June 24

WoW vs EQ
Much to my kicking and screaming, I have decided to use up my boyfriend's 10 day trial WoW disk...
I have been adamant about not playing the game. Anything with that much hype has always turned me off, and I have always been quite happy with my EQ play-time and friends. Although I have played DAOC and LineageII, nothing ever replaced EQ in terms of the experiences and the 'non-gameness' of it (the experiences and relationships being comparable to rl).

So, I've started playing WoW, and realize that there shouldnt even be a comparison made. I enjoy WoW for completely seperate reasons than I enjoy EQ. WoW has nothing to do with interaction, community and relationships, (at least in the early lvls - i am lvl 16 now). WoW has everything to do with exploration, quests and hunting... all without the social obligation I feel in EQ. To be fair, I am lvl 67 in EQ and cannot really (at least for decent exp) solo, whereas in WoW i can log in for 20 minutes, kill a few things, finish one quest and log off again. Reminds me of my early days in EQ where i would log into Oasis and solo for 20 minutes before work every morning. Chat with a few people briefly and head out without the feeling of obligation to the game or anyone else.

And so I am reminded that EQ has taken alot of myself to become the game, the space - that it is to me, but sometimes,, I just want to play a game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home