Digital Conversations

Monday, November 7

The Haves and Have-Nots: Open source ideas without the skills
I had a discussion recently with Mike about his ideas on open-source concept mmog's. My only real argument was that to make something open-source was still only opening the possibilities of change and participation to those who had the skills to do so. I admit that my understanding of open-source is quite rudementary, but if i wanted to contribute to the structure and direction of my community (in terms of the mmog scenario) i would not have the technical ability to do so.

A year after gamecode's TikiWiki woes, i am learning to appreciate what Mike was trying to offer us as a group. The ability of each member to add to and develop the space with a relatively small learning curve is a step in the right direction. At times, I resent having to go through those who have the skills to get my ideas online. This is in no way a diss to the people who have worked hard on our group's site, but I miss the freedom to add at will on the tiki wiki and it made me think a bit more about what mike was saying recently about why couldnt we offer players the tools to 'make' their own avatars... why do our choices have to be from a stable of predesigned (and limited) characters... i am told its not truly a technological limitation but a design choice.

More on this later....work calls

3 Comments:

  • [sarcastic voice]why kelly - in designing your avatar you have a choice of 24 different hair styles by hollywoods top stylists. how could you possibly feel a lack of control/empowerment in choosing your "perfect" avatar?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/05 9:30 p.m.  

  • ahh - perfection on hollywood's terms! silly me..
    on microsoft's terms ..
    on... /gasp ... blogger's terms..
    you are responsible for this unrest i feel in control (or lack thereof) within my digital space... just know that ;o)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 7/11/05 9:49 p.m.  

  • good. i accept that responsability with pride. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/05 10:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home