Digital Conversations

Thursday, December 8

Meta-Narratives & Monogamy
Is there a connection? I had an interesting conversation last night with a friend that started out as an evaluation of types of theory. He identifies himself as a symbolic interactionist; believes that it talks alot about the real world as it is. No gloss. I mentioned the fact that I am still apprehensive to label myself in terms of a school of theoretical thought as I was still interested in just learning what others had to say. I just want to make my brain bigger.

But then the conversation turned to a discussion on relationships. The quest for the 'one', and where each of us stood on the matter. He commented that he does not believe in the 'one' but that different people come into our lives at different times for different reasons. Would make sense to think this way from a post modern perspective. Different theories for different times. (Is this simply another form of relativism?) I, on the other hand, believe in the proverbial Mr. or Ms. Right. Doesn't have to be a 'perfect puzzle piece' fit, but at least someone who connects with each other on many levels, making two whole selves a complimentary entity.

I admit to not being a religious or spiritual person, there is no overarching ruler of my being, yet I still get excited when I read a meta-narrative theory that MIGHT explain MOST elements of social life. Is this the same thing as religion? Does that make me a modernist? And is that why I still cling to the dream of a life long monogamous partner in life?

1 Comments:

  • Ive been struggling with similar things, Kell, as I work on my grad school apps. Do I buck up and identify myself according to a specific stream of social theory? Or do I just admit to the more obvious fact that I'm a social constructivist with a deep critical bent? In other words, by just admitting to a specific ontological bias, can I dodge the idea of my theoretical bias?

    By Blogger Sashay, at 8/12/05 9:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home