Digital Conversations

Monday, February 6

Proposed CIN6011 Project
Although there are quite a few options suggested for the cinema, video games and interactive fiction course that I am taking, my mind has been naturally processing a few ideas. Although surely, it has been done before, I am thinking of looking at exploring the learning process of play versus the comprehensive elements in film. What I mean by this is, I would evaluate how I learn to play the game I chose (FFX-2) this would include anything necessary to understand the game-play - narrative, interface, controls etc with that of understanding my film (Nightmare Before Christmas) ... How does an individual situate the film's context, narrative, character development ... both rely on some sort of stored knowledge, but to what degree do they differ.

After reading Aarseth's article on Game Studies Methodologies, among others, what makes game studies different than other fields is the importance of personal experience. And so, alot of research coupled with the personal experience of play will yield different results. One's play experience must be measured with and against former studies within (and out) of the field, and will vary depending on the play skill of the researcher - but I think it is what can potentially make an old idea (or one that has surely been done before like the one above) new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home