Digital Conversations

Thursday, April 6

Board (Bored?) Participation
As I sit here and procrastinate in what should be one of my busiest times of year, I find myself wandering the internet, trolling boards and scrolling through random blogs. After visiting all the usual suspects on my daily stroll through cyberspace. Found myself reading a babyblog today!! (and not just the first three words). But I know when I have been spending too much time perusing the textual goods when I get the urge to post replies. And even though I have logged in and read the boards for what seems like forever, I always get nervous when I type in my reply. Reading and re-reading it to make sure I don't sound obnoxious - always feeling like poking my head in someone else's changing room.

Which kind of (but not really) brings me to something my daughter brought up to me today - a myspace site of a teenage boy, who writes alternative poetry; kind of awkward, kind of off the wall, but a space my daughter enjoys reading. But she was telling me that the replies his space gets are usually extremely nasty flames, berating him as a person etc. and so forth. What I don't understand is why don't people just ignore his site? If they think its such a crappy site, why not just click on? It bothers me alot - it bothers her alot - since my daughter often finds solace in online space and communication and sees it that way for this particular guy we can only imagine how it makes him feel (she feels very badly for him).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home