Digital Conversations

Thursday, May 11

Transition: Harder than it seems

From coursework to ... work, the last few weeks have been an exercise in transition. Currently working for three professors on three seperate projects, my perceived 'art' of multi-tasking is currently being put to the test, and the hours are alot longer than I had anticipated.

What I find interesting about all three projects, is that they require quite a high level of 'intuition' on my part. From being asked to find articles on a particular topic to selecting what is 'relevant' or noteworthy within a larger body of research data (which I am collecting), to having to be 'intuitive' about what has to be done on a day to day basis for my third contract - overall, I am realizing that alot of work within academia is intuitive... either you 'know' what you are looking for, you 'know' when you see it or you don't. Of course, this intuition is a result of a good 'academic upbringing' imo, and since I have always wondered if I have what it takes, these intuitive moments are often causes of stress. The good thing is, I know, that if I don't fall over in failure, my own academic career will benefit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home