Digital Conversations

Friday, August 4

The Taste of Rejection

Sadly, my proposed abstract (Finding Ourselves in Play: Identity and Identification in Video Games) was not accepted to be part of an edited collection on cinema and games (linked in the previous post). It was a bitter-sweet rejection. I was excited to be part of this project, and had the entire paper written (to be edited of course) and so I was saddened to be rejected - but on the other hand, the tight deadline of September 1st for the full paper when we only found out today if we were in or out - made my chest a little tight. I am still struggling with a chapter that has already been accepted (and is due August 15th) - so the rejection, I suppose, is welcome in a sense.

Which is always how I feel when I submit something - sad but releived. Although I am quite a chatty, outgoing person in my everyday dealings, my career - or path towards one, is plagued with a fear of public speaking (and a fear of failure - but then, who does not feel that fear once in a while.) So, while I push forward to be a bigger part of something, I am secretly scared to death.

Scared or not, I won't stop at this book. I am now looking for a journal or two that I could submit this paper to. It is a nice balance between game and film studies literature, as it was originally presented in a department of cinema/film class. If anyone has any suggestions - feel free to post a link in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home