Digital Conversations

Friday, September 1

A Sad Day for Independent Music

I logged into to listen to my favorite internet (once terrestial) radio station WOXY.com to see the letter of doom posted on their front page. Although it was not a surprise - listeners knew that the days of great music and rockin' dj's were numbered do to the refusal to turn to corporate funding - I guess I just never thought it would be this soon. It is times like this I wish that I had Bill Gates' bank account. Who wouldnt want an kick ass radio station on their list of things supported.

WOXY has been what has revived my interest in independent music. As I have gotten older, I had settled into listening to my music collection of yesteryear, begrudging most new music I heard. But what WOXY showed me wasnt that the tuneage of today sucked, but that I was hearing it in all the wrong places. Thanks to dj's who have been on the job for several decades, following the new and independent music scene, I was introduced to new music selected by old and wise ears.

The airwaves will go silent September 15th. From that day forward, work will never be the same - who will i listen to while sitting at my desk for long hours typing and toiling away? Any (non satellite) suggestions for a new audio home, please let me know. Otherwise, my usual garb of black will carry a tad of symbolic sadness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home